Small Chapels - shunpiker

Galleries

Gallery Comments

Powered by SmugMug Log In

St. Mary of the Oaks Chapel, Dane County, Wisconsin

On the brow of a hill, one-half mile east overlooking Indian Lake, rests a tiny stone chapel. The structure was built in 1857 by John Endres in fulfillment of a religious vow he made in return for protecting the lives of his family during a diphtheria epidemic. Aided by his son Peter, Endres hauled several tons of stone to the hilltop with an ox team.

2019_01_01_2_1277ArchitectureDane CoDane Co.Dane CountyDane CtyLandscapeMidwestUSUSAWIWisconsinbeautifulchapelchapelschurchchurchesforestforestsparkparkspeacefulprettyscenesceneryscenesserenesnowsnowytranquilwinterwintertimewoodlandwoodlandswoods